Thursday, October 14, 2010

Happy birthday Luke! I miss you and can't wait to see you again :)





Luke Jason Strickland SYRACUSE - Luke Jason Strickland passed away peacefully
at home with his family on May 28, 2005. Luke's passing was the result of
complications from a near drowning accident on May 8, 2005. Luke was a sweet,
perfect baby in the eyes of his family, friends, and especially his mom and
dad. He was affectionately referred to as biggie boys and cutest. Luke got the
most out of his short 19 months of life. He loved being outside pushing toys,
playing with his brother and sister, reading books, and especially following
the ducks. Luke enjoyed all people. He was very friendly and often said hi in
his own special way. He was constantly found with a smile on his face and a
friendly personality that made everyone happy. He loved his family and has a
special bond with his brother Tate, and sister Savannah, that will extend
beyond this earthly life. He was always happy, patient, kind, funny, and
lovable. We truly feel blessed to have been chosen his parents even for such a
short period of time. He has taught us greatly and our lives will never be
the same. Thank you, Luke. Luke will be greatly missed throughout this life,
but we know we will be together with him as a family through the eternities.
Luke is survived by his dad (Jason Strickland), mom (Kristy Parkinson
Strickland), sister (Savannah Strickland), brother (Tate Strickland),
Grandparents (Jerry and Ardith Parkinson, and Pete and Linda Strickland).


I miss this kid like crazy, I can't believe it's already been 5 years since he passed. I absolutely love and adore him and his family. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to be a part of their lives. ive learned so much from this family and how they've gone through this trial. I've losst a lot of people in my life and losing Luke was oone of the hardest things ive ever been through. I was 13 years old and Luke was like a brother. His death was so unexpected, so hard for me to comprehend, and it hurt so bad. I felt like a part of me died with him and I was devastated for a very long time. I didn't know why Heavenly Father had to take Luke... he was perfect, loved, and so young. The day he drowned was mothers day, it should have been a happy day for his mom- but turned out to be a living hell.

I think the hardest part for me was not being able to say goodbye. I babysat him the night before the accident and to this day I still wonder if I made his night the best last night he could have. I hope I didn't just put him in his crib with a bottle and let him cry himself to sleep. I hope I read him his favorite books, rocked him to sleep and sang to him. At times I wish I would have known that it was his last night here on earth, that I wouldve known to be more loving and valued my time with him more. But then again, I wouldnt have learned from this trial. Now I don't take life for granted. I try to treat every single encounter with someone like it could be the last, love like there's no tomorrow, and live without regrets.

For the longest time I asked "why?", but now I ask "what can I learn from this, what is Heavenly Father trying to teach me?". I may never understand why He took Luke from us so soon, but I know he had a reason. If we can learn to accept His will we can be happy.

I love and miss Luke so much, but I know this happened for a reason. This has been, and still is, a very hard thing to get through. I've learned and grown so much from losing Luke that I wouldnt have with anything else. Watching the how the family has grown is also a huge comfort to me. Luke is still there, his memory will always live on. Just because the person you love dies, doesn't mean your feelings end. They get stronger.

I hope that because I have lost loved ones that I can help others who are going through the same thing. Sometimes Heavenly Father answers prayers through other people. I hope that if I ever have the opportunity that I will be an answer to a prayer. If I could just help just one person through a trial, going through all these deaths would be more than worth it.

Luke would be 7 years old today. I can't help but think about who he would be today, but I know that he is happy and doesn't want us crying for him down here. It's been so fun to watch his brothers and sisters grow up, to see how different they all are and to see little glimpses of Luke shine through in them. I know I'll see him again someday and I can't wait. Happy birthday Luke, I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment